1986 Winner: Sirups Kager (Danish Brown Spice)
1. Cream butter or margarine with sugar and corn syrup.
2. Stir in cinnamon, cloves and baking soda mixture.
3. Add flour a little at a time, mixing well after each addition until stiff dough forms.
4. Cover dough and refrigerate until firm. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
5. Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness on floured surface.
6. Cut with cookie cutters into reindeer or desired shapes.
7. Or roll dough into logs about 1-inch in diameter and slice crosswise into 1-inch-thick rounds.
8. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets until lightly browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.
9. Sirups kager, a Danish spice cookie "as brown as a reindeer," was a humble but coveted Christmas prize enjoyed by her grandfather in Denmark.