Apple Pie Filling (To Freeze Or Can)
1. Blend sugar, nutmeg, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon.
2. Add water and cook till clear. Add apples and lemon juice and cook till apples are soft.
3. Pack in jars/containers. To make pie, make crust and bake.
4. Into prepared crust, put thawed filling and bake until warmed through.
5. Crumb topping can be added before baking filling if you want (I use sugar, cinnamon, margarine and chopped pecans).
6. I found that the thickener (the flour, water, etc.
7. mix that is cooked first) made a lot more than could be used up by 24 c of apples.
8. I think I got a total of 8-10 large containers (I use empty 32 oz yogurt containers).
9. One of these containers was just enough for a 9 in pie.
10. I also used (don't tell anybody) prepared pie shells just fine with this filling.
11. I also used a large nonstick pot to cook this in and had very little problem with sticking at medium to medium high temperature.