Asparagus Soup (Zuppa Di Asparagi)
1. Heat the oil and garlic in a soup pot until the garlic is golden.
2. Add the asparagus and cook until they begin to color.
3. Season with salt and pepper. Add the broth and bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the asparagus is tender.
4. Beat the eggs and cheese together. When the asparagus is tender, reduce the heat so the soup is no longer simmering.
5. Very slowly ladle some of the hot soup into the beaten eggs, stirring continuously.
6. After adding about 2 cups of the hot soup to the eggs, reverse the process and gradually stir the eggs mixture into the soup pot.
7. The soup must not boil or the eggs will scramble.
8. Heat until thickened. Put one slice of toasted bread into each soup dish.
9. Ladle the hot soup on top and pass additional grated cheese.
10. Serves 6. NOTE: To trim asparagus, hold the tip in one hand and the base of the stalk in the other.
11. Bend gently. The asparagus will snap, leaving the tender part with the tip.