Baked Risotto with Tomato Sauce And Pecorino (Romano)
1. Preheat oven to 400 deg F In a 1-quart ovenproof pot, combine oil, onion and salt over moderate heat.
2. Stir to coat onions with oil and cook until onions are soft and translucent, 3-4 minutes.
3. Add rice, stirring to coat with oil, and cook 1 minute.
4. Add broth and tomato sauce and bring just to a simmer over moderate heat.
5. Stir in half the cheese. Smooth top with back of a spoon.
6. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover baking dish.
7. Place dish in center of oven. Bake until rice is cooked through and has absorbed most of liquid, 30-35 minutes.
8. Rice should be moist but not soupy. Serve immediately as a vegetable side dish or main dish.
9. Serves 4-6. *Original recipe used 3/4 C cheese.