Baked Stuffed Squash
This dish is easier to prepare that it may seem at first. Cleaning out squash is nothing like trying to clean out the center of a pumpkin. You can substitute other winter squash such as butternut squash in this recipe. It is best to use a mild onion such as a red or yellow onion rather than a white one. This is a wonderful winter dish to offer to your vegetarian friends. Even vegans will be able to enjoy this recipe. Squash is a great dish to offer at the holidays.
1. Cut squash in half lengthwise.
2. Scoop out seeds and stringy portion.
3. Place in a baking dish with 1/2 inch of water in bottom.
4. Bake for about 1 hour at 350 degrees.
5. While squash is baking, prepare the stuffing mix.
6. Cook onions and mushrooms in 1/4 c. water for 5 minutes.
7. Add tamari and spices.
8. Cook over low heat for 5 more minutes.
9. Remove from heat.
10. Add the rice or the bread crumbs and mix together well.
11. When the squash has baked about 1 hour and is almost tender, remove from oven.
12. Fill each with stuffing mix.
13. Return to oven and bake an additional 15 minutes.