Barley Stuffed Peppers
If you like the wild flavors that peppers offer, this recipe will give you the perfect snack: peppers stuffed with cheese, onions, barley garlic, and spices. Try complementing it with a spicy-food friendly beer, such as a white ale (e.g. Blue Moon).
1. Cut top and stem off the peppers.
2. Clean out seeds and inside ribs.
3. Chop onion into course cubes.
4. Cook the barley per box instructions.
5. Pre-heat an oven to 350 degrees.
6. Bring water to a boil in a pot big enough to hold the four peppers.
7. Add peppers to boiling water for about 2 or 3 minutes or until crisp-tender (not soft).
8. Stir fry the onions, garlic, and spices over medium heat for about 7 minutes.
9. Grate the cheddar cheese.
10. Stir in the barley, grated cheddar cheese and tomato sauce and mix well then remove from heat.
11. Place peppers in an 8 inch glass pie dish.
12. Fill peppers with mixture, cover them with foil and bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.