Broken Glass (Hard Tack Candy)
1. The following is a recipe for "broken glass", a hard candy.
2. We often made this when I was a kid. We would flavor one batch with cinnamon oil (and color it red), and flavor another with wintergreen (and color it green).
3. Mix all ingredients and stir over heat until sugar dissolves.
4. Boil to 300F or hard crack on candy thermometer.
5. Remove from heat and add 1/4 teaspoon oil flavoring (peppermint, wintergreen, cinnamon, etc).
6. and desired food coloring. Pour onto well-buttered cookie sheet.
7. Mark into pieces as soon as it starts to harden around the edge.
8. Powder candy with powdered sugar and break into pieces when set.