Candy Cane Bread
This festive holiday bread shaped into candy canes will delight children and adults alike. Icing is drizzled over the canes for a sweet finish.
1. Grease a cookie sheet and set aside.
2. Stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Add the nuts. Combine the egg and milk. Stir into the flour mixture just till moistened.
5. On a lightly floured surface, pat dough into a 10 x 7 inch rectangle.
6. Cut crosswise into 1 inch wide strips. Twist each strip by holding both ends.
7. Bend 1 end to form candy cane shape. Place candy canes several inches apart on cookie sheet.
8. Bake in a 425F oven for 10 minutes or till light brown.
9. Carefully remove to a wire rack to cool. Frost with decorator icing or with powdered sugar icing.
10. Makes 10 candy canes. Powdered Sugar Icing In a small bowl combine 2 cups powdered sugar and enough milk to make of drizzling consistency (about 3 tb) Drizzle over cooled candy canes.