Chicken Cordon Bleu Aunt's Recipe
1. Preheat the deep fryer or, if baking in an oven, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place the deboned chicken breasts between two sheets of waxed paper or plastic wrap.
3. Use a meat mallet to flatten the breasts. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Combine the chives, parsley and tarragon in a bowl.
5. Shred the ham slices. Dice the Swiss cheese slices.
6. Add the shredded ham, diced Swiss cheese and the first measure of bread crumbs to the bowl.
7. Mix thoroughly. Place the chicken breasts meat side down on a work surface.
8. Divide the the stuffing mixture evenly between the breasts.
9. Fold the breasts over (taco style). Use toothpicks to hold the edges together.
10. Beat the egg in a wide, flat pan. Place the flour and second measure of bread crumbs in shallow pans.
11. Roll the stuffed breasts in the flour. Dip the breasts in the beaten egg.
12. Coat the breasts with the second measure of bread crumbs.
13. Deep fry until golden (if baking in the oven, bake for 1 hour in a lightly greased baking dish).