1. Dissolve sugar in milk and heat until lukewarm.
2. Crumble yeast into milk and let stand. Sift flour and salt into large pot or bowl.
3. Put in eggs, melted vegetable shortening and butter.
4. Add milk. Work until all dough is in one bulk, loose from hands and from sides of pot or bowl.
5. Cover with pot cover or a damp cloth and set in a warm place to rise.
6. It should be double in amount in about 2 or 2 1/2 hours.
7. Take three large balls of dough, the size of large grapefruits, form into 10" strips 3" in diameter and braid.
8. Paska is always baked in a round pan, 6" high.
9. The temperature should be 400 deg. for the first 10 minutes and then lowered to 375 deg.
10. for the next 40 to 50 minutes. When the Paska is taken from the oven, spread with melted butter.