Italian Focaccia-Onion Bread
1. Place the water and yeast in a mixing bowl.
2. Add half the flour, 1/4 cup olive oil, the sugar, and salt, and mix with an electric mixer until smooth.
3. Add the remaining flour, and blend in by hand.
4. Place the dough on floured board, and knead for 5 minutes.
5. Place the dough on a Formica counter-top or on plastic wrap, and cover with a large metal bowl.
6. Allow to rise about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
7. When it is doubled, punch the dough down, and knead it for 1 or 2 minutes.
8. Roll the dough out to fit a greased 9- by 13-inch shallow pan, and place the dough in the pan.
9. Let the dough rise until not quite doubled in bulk, and then punch holes all over it, using a fork.
10. Brush the top of the dough with some olive oil and then the tomato paste.
11. Mix together the yellow onion, green onions, and garlic; use to sprinkle top of dough.
12. Sprinkle with the pepper. Preheat the oven and bake at 375 F for about 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.