1. Bring lentils and water to a boil in a saucepan.
2. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until tender.
3. Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, chili powder, and cayenne.
4. Place in a baking dish and bake, covered, for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
5. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake, uncovered, 5 minutes more or until cheese melts.
6. Personal notes: The lentils cooked a lot faster than an hour, and I had to keep adding more water.
7. I used onion and garlic chives instead of the green onion and garlic for a milder flavor.
8. We had corn on the cob and a green salad with it and it was great.