1. Pastry for 1 crust pie.
2. Line a 9--inch pie pan with pastry. Refrigerate while you make filling.
3. Combine applesauce with sugar, cream, lemon rind, lemon juice and sherry.
4. Stir in the well--beaten eggs and pour into chilled pastry shell.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
6. Reduce oven heat to 325 degrees and bake 45 minutes.
7. The filling will not become firm till the pie cools.
8. Applesauce: Pare, core and slice thin 10 greening apples.
9. Add 1 cup water and cook over low heat, covered for 15 minutes.
10. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat and rub apples through a sieve or, preferably, blend in an electric blender to make a smooth sauce.
11. Add 1 cup granulated sugar, return to a brisk heat and cook about 5 minutes longer.