Orange Beef With Sun-Dried Tomatoes
1. To marinate the beef: Place the flank steak on a flat surface and cut in half lengthwise.
2. Cut into 1/8" wide slices on the diagonal, cutting against the grain.
3. Mix the brandy and soy sauce in a bowl. Add the steak; mix.
4. Add the cornstarch and mix well to coat. Add the oil, mixing well to separate the pieces of meat.
5. Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes or up to one hour.
6. Meanwhile, cook the orange zest; Bring the water and the sugar to a boil over high heat in a saucepan.
7. Add the orange zest and boil for 5 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water, squeeze dry and set aside.
8. Soak the sun-dried tomatoes in warm water for about 10 minutes, or until softened.
9. Cut them into julienne pieces. In a large skillet or a wok, heat the oil until it is very hot, almost smoking (350 degrees).
10. Add the steak, using chopsticks or a large fork to separate the pieces as they cook.
11. Once the steak has turned golden, about 2 minutes, remove it from the skillet with a slotted spoon and drain well; set aside.
12. Remove all but 2 Tablespoon oil from the skillet.
13. Add the orange zest, sun dried tomatoes, scallions, garlic, ginger root and jalapeno.
14. Cook over high heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring, until the garlic is golden.
15. Return the steak to the skillet, add the stock, stir well and cook, stirring for 3 minutes until all of the liquid is evaporated.
16. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a platter and serve.
17. Serves 2 as a main dish with rice or 4 in sandwiches with good bread.
18. Cook's tip: When stir-frying meat, marinate the slices in a mixture of soy sauce, brandy and cornstarch, then mix in a little oil.
19. Adding some oil at this point and in this order is very important, for when the pieces of meat are later cooked in hot oil, they will separate easily.
20. The meat should be seared over very high heat to seal in the juices.
21. This quick-cooking technique keeps the outside well brown and crisp, while the inside stays moist.