Rich Brownie Mix
1. Put all ingredients except the shortening in a large bowl; use a spoon to mix until uniform.
2. Cut in shortening using either a pastry blender or your fingertips until mixture looks like chocolate cornmeal.
3. Seal tightly in a plastic bag or jar, label and store at room temperature.
4. Makes 8 cups of mix; enough for 4 pans of brownies TO USE: Put 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla or orange extract in a mixing bowl; beat slightly.
5. Stir in 4 tablespoons melted butter or margarine which has been cooled.
6. Lightly spoon 2 cups of the mix into the mixing bowl; do not pack the mix when measuring.
7. Beat well with a spoon to make a somewhat smooth batter; stir in 1/2 cup chopped nuts, if desired.
8. Spread into a greased and floured 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan.
9. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.