Risotto, Saffron with Sea Scallops
1. Melt butter in a large sauce pan, add onion and ginger and saute over medium heat until onion is translucent (do not brown).
2. Add rice and stir to coat with butter. Add wine, increase heat, and cook, stirring, until it is almost absorbed.
3. Begin adding broth, about 1/2 cup at a time, letting the rice absorb almost all before making another addition.
4. This process will take about 15 minutes. Steep the saffron in some of the broth in a small cup and add it when making one of the broth additions.
5. The rice should have a creamy consistency with a noticeable light crunch in the center of the kernel.
6. Immediately after the last broth addition, add the scallops and cook for just a few moments - do not over cook them or they will toughen.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.