1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, beat margarine, honey and almond extract with an electric mixer until mixture is light and fluffy.
3. Add flour, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Mix in almonds. On ungreased cookie sheets, shape 1/2-cup portions of dough into heart shapes, no more than 1/2-inch thick.
5. Decorate as desired by following one of the tips below or by using a tooth-pick, fork or other kitchen tool to create a design.
6. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until edges turn brown.
7. Cool 5 minutes and remove from pan. Decorating tips: You can create a design on top of the cookies using white or colored candy sprinkles.
8. Or you could crimp the edges of heart, making a design using the tines of fork, or a knife, spatula or spoon.
9. Sprinkle baked cookies with powdered sugar. If you are an experienced baker, you may want to paint a design with a simple egg-yolk paint.
10. Separate an egg; put the egg yolk in a small bowl and mix with 1/2 teaspoon water and enough red food coloring to make the desired sired shade of red.
11. Using a clean paint brush, paint a design on cookie using the colored yolk.
12. Or place a small doily on cookie and, using a clean, stiff brush, work the egg paint through the cutouts and create a lacy effect.
13. Remember that this is all done before the cookies are baked.