1. In saucepan, bring 1-1/2 cups salted water to boil. Stir in rice; cover and simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until tender and water is absorbed.
2. Remove from heat; stir in egg white and 1 tb of the parsley. Press mixture into bottom of greased 8-inch square baking dish or other shallow heat proof casserole with same volume; set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in nonstick skillet, melt 1 tb of the butter over medium-high heat; cook garlic, mushrooms and celery, stirring, for about 5 minutes or just until vegetables start to brown.
4. Stir in onions, dill and 1/4 ts each of the salt and pepper; cook over high heat for about 2 minutes or until lightly browned. transfer to large bowl.
5. Whip out skillet; pour in 2 cups water and bring to simmer. Cook shrimp for about 1 minute or just until pink. Reserve 1 cup of liquid, rinse shrimp under cold running water.
6. Shell and devein shrimp; arrange over rice in baking dish. In heavy saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat; stir in flour. Cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes, without browning; gradually whisk in reserved liquid and milk.
7. Cook, stirring, for about 20 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese, lemon rind and remaining salt and pepper until cheese is melted.
8. Stir into vegetable mixture along with remaining parsley; pour over shrimp in baking dish. [Can be prepared to this point, covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.]
9. In small bowl, stir together remaining cheese and bread crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over casserole.
10. Bake in 325F 160C oven for 40-50 minutes or until heated through. Broil for about 2 minutes or until top is golden. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Comments on 1-Pot: Shrimp Casserole Recipe:
Comment submitted for approval, it will be posted shortly.
This recipe is high in Vitamin A with 32% of your daily recommended intake per serving. This recipe is high in Vitamin C with 28% of your daily recommended intake per serving.
Food Allergy Information:
This recipe contains potential food allergens and will effect people with Wheat, Lemon, Egg, Milk, Shellfish, Butter, Gluten, Mushroom, Rice, Cheese, Spring Onion, Garlic, Shrimp, Celery, Onion, Citric Acid allergies.