1. CAKE: Mix yeast, salt, 4 T sugar, and 3/4 cup flour.
2. Add butter to milk. Heat until very warm (120-130 degrees F).
3. . Gradually add milk to flour mixture. Beat for 2 minutes.
4. Add egg and 1/2 cup flour. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 2 minutes.
5. Mix in enough flour to form a soft dough. Knead for 5 to 10 minutes, until dough is shiny and elastic.
6. Place in greased bowl and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
7. Pat dough into well-greased 10-inch springform pan pressing the dough 1 1/2 inches up the sides of the pan.
8. Or use 11x8 pan, grease well. FILLING: Toss apple slices, lemon juice, and 1/4 c of sugar.
9. Spread apples over crumbs. Drain raisins, reserving rum, and sprinkle raisins over apples.
10. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes.
11. Beat eggs and sugar until thick and lemon-colored.
12. Stir in milk and reserved rum. Pour custard over apples and bake for 45 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees F until custard is set.
13. Cool completely before serving. Do NOT remove springform pan until cool.
Comments on Apfelkuchen (Apple and Rum Custard Cake) Recipe:
Comment submitted for approval, it will be posted shortly.
Food Allergy Information:
This recipe contains potential food allergens and will effect people with Wheat, Lemon, Egg, Milk, Yeast, Butter, Gluten, Sulfites, Natural Sweeteners, Alcohol, Fructose Malabsorption, Apple allergies.