1. FOR THE DRESSING: Place the tomato paste, tamarind pulp, shallot, and vinegar in a blender an mix well.
2. Slowly add the oil a drop at a time at first and then in a slow b steady stream until it is all incorporated.
3. Add the salt. Can be kept in the refrigerator for 1 week.
4. FOR THE ONIONS: Peel and slice one large red onion thick enough so that you can handle the slices and they will not fall apart when you cook them.
5. Rub them with a little olive oil and cook the onions over a charcoal fire or under a hot broiler until soft.
6. (Approximately 5 to 6 minutes per side). Toss in a bowl with 1-1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar so that the slices become single rings.
7. These will keep refrigerated 2 to 3 days. TO ASSEMBLE THE SALAD: Wash and dry one medium handful (about 1 cup) spinach for each portion and toss with enough dressing to coat each leaf, being careful not to over-dress the salad.
8. Arrange the onions over the salad and serve.
9. Always serve salads on chilled plates. CHEF'S NOTE: Tamarind pulp can be purchased at Latin specialty stores.
Comments on Baby Spinach Salad With Grilled Onions-Tomato Recipe:
Comment submitted for approval, it will be posted shortly.
This recipe is low-sodium with 0mg per serving, low-fat with 0g per serving, low-saturated fat with 0g per serving, low-cholesterol with 0mg per serving and low-calorie with 0 per serving
Food Allergy Information:
This recipe contains potential food allergens and will effect people with Tomato, Sulfites, Vinegar, Onion, Olive Oil allergies.