1. In heavy 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
2. Add onions and sausages; cook, turning sausages and onions occasionally, until lightly browned--about 4 minutes.
3. Transfer sausages to plate, leaving onions in saucepan.
4. Add water, carrots, turnips and salt, cover and heat to boiling.
5. Reudce heat to low and cook 10 minutes Add cabbage and cook until vegetables are just tender--5 to 8 minutes.
6. Return sausages to saucepan, making sure they are covered by broth.
7. Cook, uncovered, just until sausages are heated through (they will start to expand)--about 5 minutes.
8. Do not overcook or sausages will split. To serve, with slotted spoon, transfer sausages and vegetables to serving platter and ladle broth into soup turee, or divide sausages vegetables and broth among 4 soup plates.
9. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. NOTES : In this lighter version of the classic New England one-pot meal, low-fat chicken-and-spinach sausage stands in for bacon or ham and a whole chicken.
Comments on Chicken-and-spinach Sausage Boiled Dinner Recipe:
Comment submitted for approval, it will be posted shortly.
This recipe is low-sodium with 0mg per serving, low-fat with 0g per serving, low-saturated fat with 0g per serving, low-cholesterol with 0mg per serving and low-calorie with 0 per serving
Food Allergy Information:
This recipe contains potential food allergens and will effect people with Butter, Turnip, Cabbage, Onion allergies.