2. (Quaker Oats Masa Harina mix (corn and lime), is available in many supermarkets).
3. Mix masa with 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 C warm water. Mix in well and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Form into golf ball sized balls. Heat up a cast iron griddle over low-med heat, ungreased.
5. Put each ball of Masa between two pieces of wax paper and press down flat with a flat-bottomed pan or bowl (or tortilla press if you want to spend the money).
6. You won't get it as thin as store bought tortillas, but you want them a little thick.
7. They taste better that way! Pull off the wax paper off one side.
8. Flip tortilla onto the curled fingers of your other hand (so that remaining wax paper is now face up), then very carefully peel off other wax paper.
9. This might take some practice. If one corner doesn't work, start at the other.
10. (If dough repeatedly sticks, you've used too much water.
11. If dough repeatedly falls apart, you haven't used enough water).
12. Cook each tortilla on the griddle, first on one side , then the other.
13. Don't let them get crispy. To make Enchiladas: The above, plus some finely chopped onion, some grated cheese (Use Monterey Jack) Most recipes say you first fry the tortillas for a few seconds in hot oil then drain before going on to the next step.
14. You can skip this step without much loss in flavor if you use home-made tortillas.
15. Experiment. Dip a tortilla in enchilada sauce.
16. Put it down in a lasagna pan. Sprinkle grated cheese and onion on it.
17. Put another tortilla that has been dipped in sauce over the top and repeat to two or three layers thick.
18. At the end pour remaining sauce over top with remaining cheese and onions.
19. Bake at 350 degrees for about twenty minutes.
Comments on Corn Tortillas - Enchiladas Recipe:
Comment submitted for approval, it will be posted shortly.
This recipe is low-sodium with 0mg per serving, low-fat with 0g per serving, low-saturated fat with 0g per serving, low-cholesterol with 0mg per serving and low-calorie with 0 per serving
Food Allergy Information:
This recipe contains potential food allergens and will effect people with