1. These baguettes are crusty, deep brown and dusted with flour.
2. The dough can also be shaped into a round and backed on a pizza pan, preferably black steel.
3. Slash the loaves with a sharp knife or with the metal blade of a food processor (hold it carefully by the center hub); deep slashes make a great-looking baguette.
4. Basic Sponge In processor fitted with metal blade, Mix Basic Sponge with water, salt, and honey until smooth.
5. Combine flours. (If processor is standard- size remove half of sponge mixture and add flours in two batches).
6. Add combines flours, 1/4 cup at a time, pulsing several times to incorporate each addition.
7. Then process dough until supple, elastic and sticking slightly to work bowl, about 1 minute, adding more water or flour by teaspoon, if dough is either too dry or too wet.
8. Dough should be very sticky. Transfer dough to large plastic bag, squeeze out all air and seal tightly at top of bag to allow enough room for dough to expand.
9. Set bag in bowl and let dough rise in warm spot until doubled, about 1 hour.
10. Oil double baguette bread pan. Sprinkle bottom lightly with cornmeal.
11. Punch dough down, place on generously floured surface and divide in half.
12. Pat each piece into rectangle. Start on long side to roll up dough.
13. Pinch seams to seal. Gently stretch to fit pan, if necessary.
14. Place dough seam side down, in pan. Sprinkle flour lightly over top.
15. Cover loosely with plastic. (Can be refrigerated at this point for several hours.
16. Remove from refrigerator about 1 1/2 hours before baking).
17. Let dough rise in warm spot until doubled, about 50 minutes or longer if previously refrigerated.
18. Slash surface. About 15 minutes before baking, put rack on bottom of oven at set 1 t 475 degrees F Place bread in oven, then immediately turn down heat to 425 degrees F bake baguettes until deeply browned and sounding hollow when rapped on bottom.
19. About 15 to 18 minutes. Immediately remove from pan.
20. Place on wire rack.Makes 2 baguettes, or 8 servings.
Comments on Crusty Whole-Wheat Baguettes Recipe:
Comment submitted for approval, it will be posted shortly.
This recipe is low-sodium with 0mg per serving, low-fat with 0g per serving, low-saturated fat with 0g per serving, low-cholesterol with 0mg per serving and low-calorie with 0 per serving
Food Allergy Information:
This recipe contains potential food allergens and will effect people with Wheat, Gluten, Corn, Natural Sweeteners, Fructose Malabsorption allergies.