2. saucepan, bring to boil (stirring to dissolve sugar completely).
3. Continue boiling and stirring until syrup thickens and reaches the "hard-crack" stage -- consult the candy-making section of any comprehensive cookbook for description and candy-thermometer temperature.
4. My method of determining readiness is when the syrup "makes threads" when dropped off the tip of a spoon OR when a drop allowed to fall into a cup of cool tap water forms a ball instantly.
5. It takes practice -- cook too long and the coating will be granular; cook not long enough and it'll be sticky.
6. When the syrup reaches the desired stage, take it off the burner, IMMEDIATELY stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (the soda interacts with the vinegar's acidity and makes the syrup light and sort of foamy).
7. Pour gradually over popped corn while stirring with a long-handled spoon to distribute the coating (or have someone else do the stirring or pouring).
Comments on Fat-Free Caramel Corn Recipe:
Comment submitted for approval, it will be posted shortly.
This recipe is very low-sodium with 55.5mg per serving, low-fat with 0g per serving, low-saturated fat with 0g per serving and low-cholesterol with 0mg per serving
Food Allergy Information:
This recipe contains potential food allergens and will effect people with Sulfites, Natural Sweeteners, Vinegar allergies.