1. This custard pie is similar in style to key lime pie, but flavored with orange and topped with meringue rather than whipped cream to use up the egg whites that otherwise go to waste.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 F To make the filling, stir together the milk, egg yolks, orange juice and orange liqueur.
3. Pour into the prepared pie shell and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until just set.
4. Remove from the oven and turn the heat to 450 F To make the meringue, combine the egg whites and sugar in a metal bowl.
5. Set in a pan of simmering water (or place the pan directly over lowest heat if desired) and stir for a minute or two your clean index finger is the best tool for stirring until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is warm.
6. Remove from heat, add the cream of tartar and salt, and beat until the meringue stand in soft peaks.
7. Spread over the pie and return to the oven for about 5 minutes, until golden.
Comments on Orange Custard Cream Pie Recipe:
Comment submitted for approval, it will be posted shortly.
This recipe is a good source of Vitamin C with 16% of your daily recommended intake per serving.
Food Allergy Information:
This recipe contains potential food allergens and will effect people with Egg, Natural Sweeteners, Alcohol, Fructose Malabsorption, Oranges allergies.