1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Remove giblets from turkey and set aside to use as gravy.
2. Wash and dry turkey inside out.
3. Make old-fashioned dressing by melting 1/2 cup butter in skillet over low heat. Add celery and onion and saute until golden, about 5 minutes.
4. Toss lightly with rest of dressing ingredients in large bowl just until well mixed. Spoon dressing into neck cavity.
5. Bring skin of neck over back: fasten with poultry pin. Spoon dressing into body cavity. Do not pack. Bake any leftover dressing in covered casserole. Insert about 5 poultry pins at regular intervals to draw body opening together. With long piece of twine, lace cavity closed, boot lace fashion; tie with knot.
6. Bend wing tips under body or fasten wings to body with poultry pins. With twine, tie ends of legs together. Brush turkey all over with some of melted butter. Insert thermometer in inside of thigh at thickest part.
7. Turn, breast side down on rack in shallow roasting pan. Roast uncovered for 2 hours. Turn breast side up. Saturate cheesecloth square with rest of melted butter and place over turkey breast. (Or brush turkey with rest of butter; cover breast loosely with square of foil.)
8. Roast 2 to 2-1/2 hours longer. As cheesecloth dries out you can moisten with pan drippings. (Or brush turkey with drippings.) Turkey is done when meat thermometer registers 185 to 190 F; leg joint should move freely when twisted, and fleshy part of drumstick should feel soft. Place turkey on heated platter; remove cheesecloth or foil, twine, and poultry pins.
9. Let stand 20 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile you can make Giblet Gravy. Makes about 15 or 16 servings and about 12 cups dressing.
Comments on Roast Turkey Dinner Recipe:
Comment submitted for approval, it will be posted shortly.
This recipe is a good source of Vitamin A with 19% of your daily recommended intake per serving. This recipe is a good source of Vitamin C with 14% of your daily recommended intake per serving.
Food Allergy Information:
This recipe contains potential food allergens and will effect people with Wheat, Egg, Butter, Gluten, MSG, Poultry, Turkey, Celery, Onion allergies.