1. Heat the oil in an 8- or 9-inch non-stick or well-seasoned iron skillet
over moderate heat.
2. Peel the potatoes and slice them very thinly (we like
to use a mandoline, or an inexpensive slicing machine made from plastic).
Do not put potatoes in water. Add the potatoes and the onions to skillet,
and stir until they are completely coated with the oil.
4. Reduce the heat and
cook, stirring often so that the vegetables color, until the potatoes are
cooked through -- about 12 minutes.
5. They should remain separate. Remove the
potatoes and onions with a slotted spoon to a baking sheet lined with paper
towels and let them drain.
6. Pour the oil out of the skillet and into a cup.
Wipe out the skillet and remove any pieces of onion or potato stuck to the
8. Add 3 tablespoons of the oil from the cup back to the skillet.
Carefully transfer the potato mixture to a shallow bowl, pour the eggs over
them, turning to coat well, season with salt and pepper, and let stand for
10. Heat the oil in the skillet over moderately-high heat until
very hot but not smoking, and add the potato and egg mixture, spreading the
11. Reduce the heat to medium-low and shake the pan often to
12. When the top is no longer liquidy (about 10 minutes),
cover the skillet with a plate and turn the tortilla out.
13. Add 2 more
tablespoons of the reserved oil and return the tortilla, cooked side up, to
the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes longer -- or until cooked through
~- and the underside is moderately browned.
14. Let rest until the tortilla
comes to room temperature.
15. When ready to serve, cut into 6 wedges, and
sprinkle each wedge with a little coarse salt and Spanish olive oil.
Comments on Tortilla Espanola - (Spanish Potato Omelet) Recipe:
Comment submitted for approval, it will be posted shortly.
This recipe is very low-sodium with 92.5mg per serving
This recipe is a good source of Vitamin E with 11% of your daily recommended intake per serving.
Food Allergy Information:
This recipe contains potential food allergens and will effect people with Egg, Potato, Onion, Olive Oil allergies.